Woman Dies After Injecting Hot Beef Fat Into Her Face
HOMEWOOD, Illinois ~ (Chicago Sun-Times) ~ A local woman died Thursday, September 8th shortly after injecting heated beef fat into her face, but the injections were not the cause of death, according to authorities.
An autopsy on September 9th determined that 63-year-old- Janet Hardt died of peritonitis, a severe abdominal inflammation caused by a bacterial infection, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. The office reported that facial infections from the injections did not lead to her death.
Family members told authorities that Hardt has undergone multiple cosmetic surgeries to her face and neck. A short time before she died, she injected the heated beef fat into her face around her mouth and chin. Authorities say she apparently performed the procedure on several occasions in an attempt to simulate the affects of Botox injections, which reduce wrinkling. Hardt had infections in her mouth and lip, as well as scarring from the injections and on September 8th went to the hospital after complaining that her face felt like it was burning.