Hickey Paralyzes New Zealand Woman
Auckland, New Zealand ----A New Zealand woman was partially paralyzed from a hickey that caused her to have a small stroke, The Christchurch Press reported.
The 44-year-old unidentified woman went to the emergency room after she found she could not move her left arm.
Doctors concluded that she had had a stroke but were perplexed as to why, the paper said. Then they found a "love bite" on her neck near a major artery, and discovered a clot in the artery beneath the hickey — a small vertical bruise.
"Because it was a love bite there would be a lot of suction," said Dr. Wu, who attended to the woman at the Middlemore Hospital in Auckland, according to the paper. "Because of the physical trauma it had made a bit of bruising inside the vessel."
He added the clot traveled to the woman's heart and caused the stroke.
"We looked at the medical literature and that example of having a love bite causing something like that hasn't been described before," Dr Wu said.
The Maori woman was treated with an anticoagulant and the clot disappeared within a week, doctors said.
Nothing says I really love you like a big red hematoma on your neck and partial paralysis in your limbs.