Yesterday evening kicked off this season’s television premier week. Let’s talk numbers and see which network boasts the biggest bragging rights today. With many much anticipated shows launching Monday night, the ratings game was tight.
Let’s get right down to it. The technical knock out goes to… wait for it… CBS! (And yes, that was a Barney from “How I Met Your Mother” reference) Of course the network most likely owes Charlie Sheen a thank you card at the least. The entire country watched Sheen have a huge public dispute with Warner Brothers with “Two and a Half Men” being at the center of turmoil. And boy did it carry the night when nearly 28 million people tuned in to see what happened to Charlie Harper and to critique his replacement, Ashton Kutcher.
Here are some of the CBS Monday night stats according to today’s press release:
* The Season Premiere of “Two and a Half Men” Scores The Largest Audience and Highest Adult 18-49 Rating in Series History
* “Two and a Half Men” Posts TV’s Best Scripted Series Season Premiere Since 2005
* “How I Met Your Mother” Posts Biggest Premiere in Series History in Viewers and Demos
* The Series Premiere of “2 Broke Girls” is the Biggest Fall Comedy Premiere Since 2001
* “Hawaii Five-0″ Wins its Time Period in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54
* CBS Wins Premiere Monday in Adults 18-49 and Adults 25-54
We mustn’t forget that the overall success and future of a show is hard to tell simply by premiere night Nielson numbers. Anticipation, curiosity, and being in the loop at the water-cooler is what makes up for many of these record setting numbers. Soon after, people will loose the interest bug and ultimately have to choose a show to be loyal to and that is how you get a winner. There is way too much on television to watch as it is. Plane and simple, viewers need to decide. Easy equation: The show that has the most viewers settle on it wins the race. But that aside, my money is still on CBS. Then again, I might be a tad biased. Can anybody guess what channel I was tuned in to last night? Love those broke girls!
(Images from CBS)