2010 AMAs – Did You See It? Chances Are You Didnt
Last night, the Nokia Theater in downtown Los Angeles was the home to the 2010 American Music Awards where the most recognizable faces in music gathered together. However, with all the televised hype surrounding the event, according to The Hollywood Reporter, this year's AMAs that aired on ABC, was the lowest rated in the award ceremony's history – a whopping 22 percent decrease from last year's numbers! The report specified that the show had 11.6 million viewers with a 4.3 preliminary rating among adults 18 to 49. Conversely, the teenage group was up 12 percent and children aged 2-11 were up 19 percent. This data can most likely be attributed to the fact that, hey, what else is there to care about at that age?
The star studded event included performances by: The Black Eyed Peas, Train, Enrique Iglesias w/ Pitbull, Taylor Swift, Kid Rock, Miley Cyrus, Carlos Santana w/ Gavin Rossdale, Backstreet Boys & New Kids on the Block, Rihanna, Diddy-Dirty Money, Ne-Yo, Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Christina Aguilera, Bon Jovi, P!nk and Usher. Not surprisingly, our little singing pop sensation, Justin Bieber, stole Sunday's show as the the biggest winner snagging the following awards: Favorite pop/rock artist, Breakthrough artist, Favorite album of the year for “My World 2.0,” and most notably, the Artist of the year – making him the youngest performer to ever win this award!
Here is the full list of winners as reported by ABC and WorldNewsExpress:
- Artist of the Year: Justin Bieber
- Favorite Pop / Rock Male Artist: Justin Bieber
- Favorite Pop / Rock Female Artist: Lady GaGa
- Favorite Pop / Rock Band, Duo or Group: Black Eyed Peas
- Favorite Pop / Rock Album: Justin Bieber – “My World 2.0?
- Favorite Male Country Artist: Brad Paisley
- Favorite Female Country Artist: Taylor Swift
- Country Favorite Band – Duo or Group: Lady Antebellum
- Favorite Country Album: Carrie Underwood – “Play On”
- Favorite Rap / Hip-Hop Male Artist: Eminem
- Favorite Rap / Hip-Hop Album: Eminem – “Recovery”
- Favorite Soul / R & B Male Artist: Usher
- Favorite Soul / R & B Female Artist: Rihanna
- Favorite Soul / R & B Album: Usher – “Raymond Vs. Raymond”
- T-Mobile Breakthrough Artist: Justin Bieber
- Favorite Soundtrack Album: “Glee: The Music – Volume 3 Showstoppers”
- Favorite Alternative Rock Artist: Muse
- Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist: Michael Buble
- Favorite Latin Artist: Shakira
- Favorite Contemporary Inspirational Artist: MercyMe
Well, congratulations to all the winning artists and shoddy ratings aside, the AMAs accomplished exactly what they really are meant to do: give us a reason to throw alcohol fueled viewing parties at the friend's house with the nicest television. Lastly, a special thanks to the Good Samaritan who smuggled in the tranquilizer dart I assume they used on Kanye when Taylor Swift was speaking.
(image from dick clark productions)